- The experimental methodologies on Rational Design aided by computations and modeling (a Materials Genome approach).
- Development of advanced in situ characterization techniques
- In situ X-ray technologies utilizing synchrotron and bench top X-ray sources (diffraction, absorption and pair distribution function analysis, etc.)
- In situ TEM
- In situ solid state Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (SS-NMR)
- Electrochemical energy conversion and storage technologies:
- Synthesis and characterization of novel nanostructures and nanomaterials; Nucleation and crystal growth of crystalline materials.